I am very furious and sad about this oil spill situation, it’s been already 50 days since it started and BP is only making matters worse! So, I decided to show you guys a little bit about it and what we can do to help. First, I want you to take a look at these very important facts provided by the fiscal times:
- BP’s controversial decision to break down the oil and keep it from reaching the shore by applying massive quantities of toxic chemicals known as dispersants has set off alarms among ecologists and other scientists.
- The core of these chemicals has traditionally been viewed as a tradeoff, reducing the amount of oil on the water’s surface and the coast, but allowing the oil to remain in the column, where it can threaten marine life.
- The dispersant COREXIT®9500 — the chemical BP is using — is considered toxic and could lead to unforeseen health and environmental problems. But it’s at least marginally better than the first dispersant used, COREXIT® EC9527A, which carries warnings that repeated or excessive exposure may cause injury to red blood cells, the kidney or liver.
- Some critics have accused BP of being less interested in the chemical’s effectiveness than in its ability to shape perceptions of the disaster by making it harder to see the oil. “They’re trying to dissolve it at the source so we don’t see it,” said Carl Safina, an ecologist.
OMG! This is insane, don’t you think? For the full article click here.
And here are some ways we can help:
- National Wildlife Federation – Text “WILDLIFE” to 20222 to donate $10 to help with the organization’s immediate response work as well as long-term.
- Oxfam America – The money will go to help support local organizations and immediate needs like HAZ-MAT training for fishermen.
- Oceana – believes offshore drilling will never be safe. If you agree, they have a petition with close to 80 thousand signatures you can sign.
I Hope this will open your eyes and your heart! Please help!!!